Soroptimist Global Focus: Educate to Lead
Read about this exciting new initiative on the Soroptimist International Website.
Project SIerra is the final Quadrennial Project for Soroptimist International (SIGBI now have a new project 3E Project: Healthcare), and we are proud of our achievements from past quadrennial Projects. Every four years, at the International Convention, Soroptimist International adopted an international joint service project which involved all clubs worldwide. We have supported:
- Project SIerra 2007-2011: This was the last SI Quadrennial Project, for which SI raised over £1 million over four years to help women and children re-build their lives in war-torn Sierra Leone. Our partners for this project were Hopes and Homes for Children. You can read more about this project at the following websites: Project Sierra website; Soroptimist International Website
- Project Independence: Women Survivors of War – In partnership with Women for Women International. Raising awareness and funds to expand the capacity of WWI’s programmes in Afghanistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Rwanda. Results: 1,960 women sponsored, 600 women in boxnia and Afghanistan received loans and lending activities launched in Afghanistan. $2.2 million raised.
- The International Committee of the Red Cross on our joint project Limbs for Life. Soroptimists worldwide raised over £1million for the victims of landmines in Afghanistan, Angola and Georgia.
- Prevention of the spread of AIDS in Thailand by giving young women occupational training and scholarships so that they do not have to enter the commercial sex trade.
- Building eye clinics in Bangladesh in collaboration with Sight Savers to prevent pre-school children going blind
- Helping the poorest women and children in the highlands of Peru
- Providing safe water for many villages in Senegal
|International President’s AppealFor further information about the|
Soroptimist International Great Britain and Ireland (SIGBI) Appeals
SIGBI has just launched a new 3-year project in partnership with MCAI (Maternal and Childhealth Advocacy International). Further information about this and SIGBI’s other Charitable Appeals can be found by clicking the links below:
- 3E Project - “Educate to Lead”- educating, empowering and enabling maternal and child health in the Gambia: Soroptimists in partnership with MCAI.
- Diamond Education Grant – funding for female students to help with cost of courses and books/equipment
- Emergency Relief Fund – provides immediate aid to countries which experience nature disasters (eg earthquakes and flooding)
- 75 for 75 (note this appeal is now closed for donations)