History of our Club
In its infancy, the Club funded an annual holiday for mothers and children, provided an outdoor Christmas Tree for the town and collected toys and gifts for needy children. For many years we ran a Christmas Card and Gift Fair where local charities sold their cards and gifts. During Civic Week each summer we had a stall to raise money for our charities.
In 1995 we received a legacy from, Miss Anna Cruickshank, an honorary member. We use this to give grants to help people from abroad to pay for education in this country or to those going to third world countries to undertake work in education.
Past Presidents Charities have included Pestallozi Children’s Village, Various Cancer Charities, RNLI, Hospices, Story Aid, Help the Aged, Riding for the Disabled, Amnesty International, Alzheimer Scotland, Mary’s Meals and Disability Scotland.
Together we have raised awareness, lobbied, corresponded, petitioned, studied, beach cleaned, knitted, surveyed, collected, supported and we have done this by dressing in funny costumes, eating strange food, walking over hill and dale, guddling in ponds, riding toy horses but always having fun!
Our Club has always enthusiastically supported the Soroptimist International Projects.
The world has radically changed since 1950 when our country was still recovering from war and we were receiving food parcels from our Friendship Link in Canada. Now, when women and girls are more at risk than ever, we try to help those in countries whose lives are blighted from famine, war and natural disasters.
Throughout all our years of service some things continue and we look forward enjoying our spirit of friendship and fun far into the future.