President Mary Ann’s Message
My name is Mary Ann Harris and I am the new president of SI Grange over Sands. The Club year running from the end of April 2017 to the end of April 2018.This is the second time I have had the honour of being president, the first time was for the year 1999/2000 so I have some idea of my duties in the year ahead. I am very much looking forward to working with the other members of our club in our key area to Educate, Empower and Enable women and girls to achieve their potential, realise aspirations and have an equal voice in creating strong, peaceful communities worldwide.
Programme Action is at the centre of our work, as you can read about on our website homepage and we will continue to support the Meru Women’s Garden Project supporting the poorest women-led households in Kenya. This project provides opportunities for women and girls to earn an income, giving them status in their communities. Improved food production and education transforms their lives and of others through cascade learning and mentoring, helping to reduce poverty, improve health and increasing opportunities for employment.
Fund Raising Activities this year will include:
- Selling cakes, sandwiches and drinks at the Edwardian Festival in Park Road Gardens on Saturday 10th June. A fun day out for all the family.
- A Christmas Flower Demonstration by well-known demonstrator Joan Bentley in the Sports & Social Club, Priory Road, Ulverston on Thursday 7th December. Tickets £5 includes a finger buffet with drinks available from the bar. A festive and friendly way to begin the Christmas season.
- A Burns Night at Cartmel Village Hall on Friday 26th January 2018. Tuck into haggis, neeps and taties followed by a Scottish themed dessert. Tickets available November onwards.
Members’ Social Activities include:
- A Classic Bus Ride to Barnard Castle on 17th
- An easy afternoon walk followed by a pub meal on 18th July
- A Fish, Chips & Peace Supper for International Day of Peace on 21st September
- Our Charter celebration Afternoon Tea at Hampsfell House Hotel on 7th October
- A Pottery Workshop on 19th October
- Christmas Party on Tuesday 12th December
- A visit to Grange Opera on 3rd March
We also have two Reading Groups and during the year theatre trips, walks and other activities are organised by members for members.
My chosen Charities as President this year are:
- South Lakeland Mind
We are a friendly and active group of women and welcome like-minded women to join us. See the contact details on our website homepage. Prospective new members are welcome to attend a taster meeting and can join us on a social occasion. We have monthly Club meetings in Cartmel Village Hall.
I look forward to meeting you!