About our Area
Hoylake is a predominantly residential coastal town with a distinctive local character derived from its seafaring history and with royal connections. In 1690, William III set sail from Hoylake with a 10,000-strong army to Ireland, where his army was to take part in the Battle of the Boyne. The location of departure remains known as King’s Gap.
The present day township of Hoylake grew up in the 19th century around the small fishing village of Hoose. It became part of Hoylake and West Kirby civil parish in 1894. The name Hoylake was derived from Hoyle Lake, a channel of water between Hilbre Island and Dove Point. It provided a safe anchorage for ships too large to sail up the Dee to Chester. Hilbre Island in the Dee Estuary is where the more adventurous can walk to at low tide and watch the seals on a nearby sandbank.
Hoylake is also the home of the Royal Liverpool Golf Club, built in 1869 on the site of the Royal Hotel racecourse. It is the second oldest golf links in England, predated only by the Royal North Devon Golf Club, in Westward Ho!, Devon. It has hosted many major tournaments the most recent being the 2014 Open Championship.
West Kirby was a township and parish within the Wirral Hundred. It became part of Hoylake West Kirby civil parish and Hoylake Urban District in 1894. West Kirby is a centre for water sports on Wirral, with sailing, windsurfing, canoeing and more taking place.