History of the Club
Soroptimist International Hoylake & West Kirby was Chartered on 6th October 1946 and a celebratory dinner was held on 19 October 1946 in the Municipal Golf House, Hoylake, where the Guest Speaker was Mr Selwyn Lloyd MP for Wirral. The first President was Mrs Dorothy Higginbottom, Social Editor of the local newspaper and the two Vice Presidents were Miss Hudson, Head Mistress of the girls’ high school and Mrs Stainton. The first meeting of the Club was actually held on 4 March 1946 at the Marigold Cafe in West Kirby with some 32 ladies present including Miss Elizabeth Dobie, Hon Secretary of the Birkenhead Soroptimists Club (our mother club) and former President of the Federation of Soroptimist Clubs. Among the membership were a doctor, masseuse, chiropodist, hairdresser, beautician, credit trader, tobacconist, concert artist, florist.
Their regular meetings took place at the Marigold cafe, West Kirby, where guest speakers included Dr Goodacre, Appeal Officer of the Liverpool Radium Institute, Mr P Herbert of the Ministry of Information, and Miss J Bryant a teacher and Soroptimist from Wichita, Kansas, USA. Amongst the Club’s leisure activities was a coach trip to Llandudno and an outing to Hilbre Island by pony-trap for afternoon tea and a historical talk about the island.
Our Club celebrated our 65th Anniversary with a special lunch at The Grange, Thornton Hough. The guest speaker was Dame Lorna Muirhead DBE, Lord-Lieutenant of Merseyside. Mrs Win Prebble was the President at that time and Mrs Colleen Knowles was Vice President. Next year we will be celebrating our 70th year as will our sister Club in Trondheim, Norway.