NASI India Committee 2018-2020
The NASI India Committee for 2018 – 2020 stands as follows:
- PRESIDENT – Anu Wakhlu (S I Poona): Anu Wakhlu has done her MSC in Foods and Nutrition and later specialized in Management. Anu is the Chairperson of Pragati Leadership Institute, a leading company in the area of Corporate Leadership and Management. Anu is a Leadership Facilitator, Coach and Consultant and works with leading corporates in India enabling teams and leaders to be more effective.Apart from her corporate work, she is actively engaged with philanthropy through her NGO Pragati Foundation and of course through the Soroptimist movement. Anu has been a member of SI Poona since 1994 and has played numerous roles such as Vice President, President, PAC and Club Rep. Within NASI, she has been in the role of Development Officer, Programme Action Chair and President-Elect.
Anu has received numerous awards including the Ashoka Fellowship for Social Entrepreneurs, Rotary GSE Award, Assocham Award for Grassroot Woman of the Decade and WEF Award for Women Leadership.
- IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT – Dr. Lata Krishnan (S I Bombay Chembur):M.Com, Ph.D, B.Ed, ADCSSAA, Associate Professor and Head of the Department of Commerce at Mahatma Night Degree College of Arts & Commerce, Chembur, Mumbai.
- PRESIDENT-ELECT – Dr. Achina Kundu (S I Calcutta): Dr. Achina Kundu has done her M.A. in (ENGLISH); LL.M. and Ph.D in Law. She initially took up practicing as an Advocate in the High Court at Calcutta, and, thereafter has been working in Jogesh Chandra Chaudhuri Law College (affiliated to the University of Calcutta), for the last 20 years. Presently, she serves as Reader in Law in the said college.After joining Soroptimist lnternational of Calcutta in the year 2003, she has continuously served as a Member of the Executive Committee of her home Club, since 2005, holding various posts in the CIub, over the years. She has served as the President of the Club for two terms, in 2007-08 and in 2014-15. She has always participated very actively in all Club projects and has been entrusted with important responsibilities of the Club. She was the Convener of the seminar held by the club in 2014, on ‘EMPOWERING WOMEN AGAINST EVERY FORM OF VIOLENCE’.
SI Calcutta won the SIGBI Programme Award in 2015, within the Programme objective “VIOLENCE AND CONFLICT RESOLUTION”, for the Project “LEGAL LESSONS FOR YOUNG WOMEN”, of which Achina was the Project Convener. She represents SI Calcutta on the NASI Board.
- SECRETARY – Thirumala Panchanadan (S I Chennai): Thirumala Panchanadan, a lecturer in English at College level turned into an administrator is taking on the role of Secretary NASI for this term. She has been a board member at the YWCA of Madras and is authorized to be the honorary visitor of the Puzhal Prison of Madras, (ladies wing).At a family level, she had the privilege of having 4 generations at home at one stage of life! At the Soroptimist Level, she joined the SI Chennai in 2001, served as PAC, Secretary, President-Elect, President, Club Representative to NASI, striving for professionalism!
- TREASURER – V. Rukma Shree (S I Chennai): Rukma Shree was born to an Industrialist family. Having done her schooling and under graduation in St Theresa ‘s Convent, she completed her Masters in Commerce from Sir CRR College, Eluru.During her school and college days, she used to participate in sports activities and has represented her school and college. She is very keenly interested in Fine Arts.
After her marriage, she moved to Chennai and was slowly initiated into various social service organizations. Initially, she was associated with the Rotary as an ‘ ANN’. Having exposure to the social scene, she then moved on to organizations like the Soroptimist Chennai and the YWCA where she held several posts that furthered her interest in social work. She is blessed with a loving family that supports her interests and activities. Rukma Shree represents SI Chennai.
- PAC – Naina Shah (S I Chennai Downtown): Naina Shah an Environmentalist, Entrepreneur has been a Soroptimist since 2006. Served NASI PAC 2012-14 and now the SIGBI Assistant Program director for Environment Sustainability since 2016. Appointed as SIGBI liaison representative on the committee for SI “Water and Women” Since November 2017. She has done the Formation and Extension of Clubs SI Madurai and SI Kodaikanal. Has attended 7 SIGBI Conferences and one convention in Montreal.Awards and Accomplishment
- “Zero Waste Award 2003” by GAIA- Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives, for the waste management at the Asian Social Forum, Hyderabad.
- “Woman of the Year 2003” for Environment by Ellements.
- “Dubai Municipality and UN Habitat Best Practice Award” for Sanitation and community improvement in Trichy.
- A government of India Nirmal Ratna Award (for the city of Nashik) – Consultants for the Solid Waste Management.
- “Special Mention Award” from the Former President of India for decentralized management of Sanitation.
- “FLO Women Achiever Award” for Professional Environmentalist 2015-2016 by FICCI Ladies Organisation , Chennai.
- MEMBERSHIP EXTENSION OFFICER – Dr. Ranjana Banerjee (S I Calcutta):Dr. Ranjana Banerjee, Associate Professor is a faculty member in the Department of Education, Loreto College. She has served the college as the Convener of Literary Society, Editor of college magazine ‘Expressions’, is the Coordinator of Loreto College Women’s Study Society and a member of Loreto Board for Planning and Monitoring looking after college academic and infrastructural Developments.Ranjana is a visiting guest faculty, Department of Education, Calcutta University for B.Ed / M.A / M.Ed and M.Phil Courses. Presently, she is serving the Graduate Women International as a convener of the Education Committee and is a Board member of Virginia Guildesleeve International Fund which is a global project grant committee where she is assigned to look into meaningful project proposals forwarded by organizations all over the globe working for the empowerment of underprivileged women and children.
She has served the Indian Federation of University Women’s Associations as Coordinator of International Relations (2008 – 2011), Scholarship Convener of the National Federation for (2014 – 2017 and presently the convener of Education (2017 – 2010). She has served the post of National Editor of the National Association of Soroptimist International and has participated as a resource person in a number of national and international seminars, panel discussions and workshops and have papers published in a number of academic journals. Ranjana represents SI Calcutta.
- DEVELOPMENT OFFICER – Nisha Ghosh (S I Pune Metro East): Nisha Ghosh joined SI Poona in 2002 and moved to form SI Pune Metro East in 2010. As founder president of the new club, she brought her experience of 8 years to the table.As a writer and former journalist, she has used her writing skills for doing almost all the content to showcase what the club does and achieves. She contributes regularly to blogs for SI Global Voice as well as the SIGBI website. Nisha has made a presentation for the UN Advocacy Officer at the UNODC office in Geneva. As the first Indian on the Soroptimist CSW delegation in 2015, Nisha made a presentation on Domestic Violence – at one of the parallel events. She was the first Indian on the Federation team as Friendship Link Coordinator and now one of the first Indians on the Programme team as APD.
At club level, she has served as PAC, Communications Officer, and Membership Officer. For this role, she made a video film for ‘Ask me why I’m a Soroptimist’ competition.
She has served on the NASI Board as PAC and now takes over as Development Officer.
Most importantly, Nisha Ghosh as Assistant Programme Director
Violence and Conflict Resolution, SIGBI, plans to revisit the issue of Human Trafficking, will work to educate the public to understand that human trafficking exists everywhere and to recognize its signs.
- COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER – Jamuna Ravi (S I Bangalore): Jamuna Ravi is a computer science engineer graduate of BITS, Pilani with over 30 years experience in the IT industry mainly in TCS and Infosys. She is currently working as General Manager, Shell India Markets Private Limited, Bangalore.She has been able to participate in social initiatives in parallel to her busy career because of her desire to give back to society in whichever way possible. She has been associated with successful social organizations like Unnati in Bangalore since it started and has been a member of Soroptimist International in Bangalore since its charter.
Her positions in the IT industry have helped her to build a good network of like-minded people interested in working for social causes, especially the empowerment of women through education and supporting underprivileged children in their pursuit of education. She has also been a strong champion of Diversity and Inclusion in the IT industry and is currently the Women’s Network Sponsor for Shell in the IT hub in India. Jamuna represents SI Bangalore on this Board.