MALALA’S 16TH BIRTHDAY
At the July club meeting members welcomed Gulshan Kayembe, an Education Consultant, who shared her views on how schools and local authorities are tackling teacher awareness of the issues relating to vulnerable young women and girls in our communities. She addressed mental health and self-harm, teenage pregnancy, child grooming, forced marriages amongst other issues.
Following her thought provoking discussion, members shared quotes about ‘girls and education’ in support of Malala Yousafzai. These included:
- ‘What the Taliban fear most is a girl with a book.’ Talat Pasha, SIGBI APD
- ‘Until the girls are educated a society won’t change.’ Greg Mortenson
- ‘You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.’ Brigham Young
- ‘If you really want to change a culture, to empower women, improve basic hygiene and health care, and fight high rates of infant mortality, the answer is to educate girls.’ Greg Mortenson
- ‘A society has no chance of success if its women are uneducated. No chance.’ Khaled Hosseini (A Thousand Splendid Suns)
- ‘The future must not belong to those who bully women. It must be shaped by girls who go to school and those who stand for a world where our daughters can live their dreams just like our sons.’ Barack Obama (2012)
Gulshan and members then celebrated Malala’s 16th birthday with a birthday cake.
SI Ipswich & District stand by Malala.