Bournemouth 2019 Soroptimist Conference raises funds for Toilet Twinning
Thank you to everyone who donated to the bucket collection for Toilet Twinning on Saturday in response to Katy’s presentation at the SIGBI Bournemouth 2019 conference.
We are thrilled to announce that £1,306.30 was raised, which is enough to build 21 toilets or 5 toilet blocks, where they are needed.
Some shocking facts:
- 2.3 billion people don’t have somewhere safe and hygienic to go to the toilet. (WHO/Unicef)
- The lack of a loo makes women and girls a target for sexual attack as they go to the toilet in the open, late at night.
- Almost 1,000 children die every day from preventable diseases linked to dirty water and unsafe toilets. (UN)
- 663 million people live without safe water. (Unicef)
- Children worldwide miss 443 million school days each year because of dirty water and poor sanitation. (UN)
- Every year, women and girls spend 97 billion hours finding a place to go. (World Bank)