Mental Health Awareness Week – 13-19 May
Mental Health Awareness Week is Monday 13 to Sunday 19 May 2019, the theme for the week is “Body Image – how we see ourselves and how that makes us feel”. Body image issues can directly impact our mental health and affect all of us at any age.
New online surveys were conducted by the Mental Health Foundation with YouGov in March 2019 of 4,505 UK adults 18+ and 1,118 GB teenagers (aged 13-19). The results highlighted that:
- One in five adults (20%) felt shame, just over one third (34%) felt down or low, and 19% felt disgusted because of their body image in the last year.
- Among teenagers, 37% felt upset, and 31% felt ashamed in relation to their body image.
- Just over one third of adults said they had ever felt anxious (34%) or depressed (35%) because of their body image.
- Just over one in five adults (21%) said images used in advertising had caused them to worry about their body image.
- Just over one in five adults (22%) and 40% of teenagers said images on social media caused them to worry about their body image.
How can Soroptimists get involved
This is a great opportunity for Members to hold an event in Mental Health Awareness Week, to support the Soroptimist ‘Think on It’ campaign, which is also focused on mental health.
The colour of the week is GREEN. Please wear green throughout the week to show your support. What a splash we could make!
Please be creative too and think about green things in the environment, at home and in the community that Members could photograph and promote via social media to support this important week in the mental health calendar.
Ways to get involved:
- NEW – Soroptimist Green “Think on It” Badges. We now have green “Soroptimists Think on It! for Mental Health” Badges for sale. 76mm diameter they are £1.00 each plus P&P. Ideal to wear for Mental Health Awareness Week—13-19 May 2019. Order now to receive your badges before this date. Delegates at Conference will also be wearing green on Friday 25 October 2019, and any remaining badges will be on sale from the SIGBI desk. Order here.
- Join the Mental Health Awareness Week skydive on Saturday 18 May. To take part, there is a £70 registration fee and you will also have to commit to raising at least £500 in sponsorship. The jump takes place at the Sibson Aerodrome near Peterborough and there are limited places available. If you have any questions contact the Mental Health Foundation on 020 7803 1123 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or book here.
- The Mental Health Foundation has Green Pin Badges for sale, which you can order here
- Download Mental Health Awareness Week posters here
- Download Mental Health Awareness Week social media graphics here
- View the ‘Think on It’ toolkit