President Helen Kanolik
Action for Women is at the heart of everything we do:
Soroptimism stands for women helping women locally, nationally and internationally and at the heart of every Soroptimist club is their action programme. Poole Soroptimists are no exception and with Programme Action Officer Ana Williams at the helm this year, we’ll be doing very interesting and worthwhile work:
- Funds for Soroptimists’ International President’s project. The first of five projects to be supported on five continents, the SI President’s Appeal 2017-2019, ‘Women, Water and Leadership’ is to fund the Mwihoko Women Group in Kenya, formed in 2005 with the aim of improving the economic and social livelihood of its membership of 22 women.
- Baby hats and blankets for distribution by SI Kathmandu to victims of the Nepal earthquake.
- Raising money for a project with Bees Abroad, helping villagers to improve their standard of living through bee-keeping.
- Sponsorship of a student in Kathmandu.
- Sponsorship of a student in Kenya.
- Funds to equip a maternity unit in Togo.
- Dorset WaterAid’s Walk for Water.
- Cancer Research’s Race for Life.
- Giving information on safe relationships using Poole Soroptimists’ Loves Me / Loves Me Not bookmarks.
- Participation in the Borough of Poole’s Domestic Abuse Awareness Day.
- Funds for LEAF, Leukaemia Education and Fundraising.
- Funds for Poole Christmas Parcels.
- Funds for Bournemouth-based Chesthelp.
- Maintaining the garden at Dorset Sexual Assault Referral Centre.
Human trafficking – Purple Teardrop Campaign:
- Slavery-free business chains – awareness-raising campaign with mobile phone service providers.
- Victim support funding in partnership with Sheffield Soroptimists and the Snowdrop Project.
- Lobby against advertising sex for sale.
But it’s not all work …
Equally important is the friendship of the Soroptimist network. Poole Soroptimists enjoy visits to the theatre, cinema and ballet, run a popular bookclub and put on other social activities
And let’s not forget the International aspect:
There are Soroptimist clubs around the world and as a member of the Soroptimist network you can link up Soroptimists wherever in the world you find yourself. Clubs link together for action and friendship – Poole Soroptimists are proud to be twinned with clubs in Brussels Iris; Hagen; Geelong and Kathmandu. There are big events too such as the Great Britain and Ireland Federation’s Conference and the Soroptimist International Conference.