Human Trafficking and Modern Day Slavery – UK wide Survey
[For immediate release: 1200hrs 23rd September 2017]
Soroptimists undertake a UK wide survey.
Soroptimists from all over the UK are working to establish the public’s knowledge of Human Trafficking and Modern Day Slavery.
Soroptimists from Slough Windsor and Maidenhead Club, as part of their mission to inspire action and transform the lives of women and girls world-wide, are encouraging members of the public to complete the UK wide survey undertaken by the Soroptimist United Kingdom Programme Action Committee. Working with UK Modern Slavery Training Delivery Group, which is part of the Government’s strategy to combat trafficking/slavery, the intention is to find out the extent of public knowledge of Human Trafficking and Modern Slavery. The results will help to inform and direct their work. Slough Windsor and Maidenhead Club will be having a stand in Nicholsons Walk, Maidenhead, on Saturday 30th September 2017 for shoppers of all ages to answer the survey.
From 1st to 7th October 2017 only, the on-line version of the survey may be accessed from www.sigbi.org/ukpac/survey/ and it is hoped that a wide range of individuals will give a few minutes of their time to log in and complete the survey.
Theresa May is the town’s MP and was responsible as Home Secretary for the Modern Slavery Bill. A Club member was given a Marsh Trust award by her in 2013 for getting all Soroptimists in the UK to support initiatives on Human Trafficking and Modern Slavery
A house in Maidenhead was raided by police recently because of trafficking.
Please note that 18th October is Anti-Slavery Day (UK).
Soroptimist Jackie Paling says “Please do support this. It does not matter how little you know about Modern Slavery and Trafficking as it is often hidden from plain sight.”
For more information please contact Jackie Paling, email firstname.lastname@example.org,
Tel: 01753 840666 Club website: http://sigbi.org/slough-windsor-maidenhead/
Notes to Editors
- Web and Social Media addresses:
For information on the survey:
www.sigbi.org/ukpac – United Kingdom Programme Action Committee (UKPAC)
www.facebook.com/Soroptimist-UKPAC-207380186023210/ – UKPAC Facebook
www.twitter.com/UKPACc – UKPAC Twitter
For information about Soroptimists
www.sigbi.org – Soroptimist International Great Britain & Ireland (SIGBI)
www.sigbi.org/ukpac – United Kingdom Programme Action Committee
www.soroptimistinternational.org – Soroptimist International
www.facebook.com/SoroptimistSIGBI/ – SIGBI Facebook
www.twitter.com/SIGBI1 – SIGBI Twitter
Add your own Club/Region/NA/Network email and facebook/twitter addresses
- Please give details of opportunities for photographs and interviews or include any photographs of the event, saying who, what, when and where.
- 3. Soroptimist International is a leading global women’s voluntary organisation. It has close to 90,000 members in more than 3,000 clubs in over 100 countries around the world. The Federation of Soroptimist International Great Britain and Ireland (SIGBI) has members in more than 350 clubs in 29 countries including the British Isles, Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and Malta.
- 4. Soroptimists inspire action and create opportunities to transform the lives of women and girls through a global network of members and international partnerships. Soroptimists are committed to a world where women and girls together achieve their individual and collective potential, realise aspirations and have an equal voice in creating strong and peaceful communities worldwide.
- 5. Soroptimists focus on transforming the lives of women and girls, locally, nationally and globally, through education, empowerment and enabling Soroptimists make a difference to the lives of more than half a million women and girls in the world every year.
- 6. Soroptimist International Great Britain & Ireland is an organisation in Special Consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (UN ECOSOC) since July 2013. This is in addition to the General Consultative status held by the umbrella organisation Soroptimist International. Soroptimist International is a recognised Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) representing women from all over the world.