The last meeting of the 2017-18 regional year was held at The Catholic Centre, Taunton on 22nd September.
After President Daphne welcomed everyone, we heard from the following speakers:
Speaker: Davina Cull, Police Constable. “Snaring to Caring and Repairing- reflecting on a journey through the Criminal Justice System. Davina talked about some of the distressing cases she had come across in her early days as a police woman and how the normal practice was charging and sending to prison, ignoring mental difficulties and abuse circumstances. Now police officers are more aware and trying to bring about change, particularly through the use of restorative justice.
Speaker: Ann Garvie, past International President. Ann gave an update on International Federation matters and emphasised the importance of the UN representatives and the feedback that Soroptimists give through them. As usual, Ann imparted ideas for expanding membership and being focussed on promoting what we do to mitigate the major crimes of human trafficking and drug taking.
Speaker: Judith Lewis, SIGBI Director of Finance. Judith gave the meeting an update on the SIGBI Vision 2021: looking forward to charitable status, the trading arm, new Club types and membership growth .
Other highlights of the meeting included:
- Jackie Theobald from SI Yeovil, Sherborne and District spoke about their Single Page Plan (part of the Growing our Brand workshops) for which they received a prize from Affilius.
- Lydia Cardew, SI Swindon spoke of their work with schools using the bookmarks about domestic abuse.
- Ruth Thomas, SI Weston-Super-Mare gave an update on their Railing Against Abuse event on Sunday 25th November.
- Breakout sessions Discussion and feedback on the questions asked on SIGBI’s regional questionnaire.
- ‘Five minutes of Fame’ presentations from SI Austell & District, SI Guernsey and SI Plymouth about their key Programme Action/Project activities