SI Barnstaple & District
The Barnstaple Club was chartered in 1951, and was a ‘daughter’ of the then Exeter Club.
Permission was given, by the Mayor, for the Coat of Arms of the town to be used on the regalia of the Club’s Chain of Office.
The Club works closely with local causes, raising funds and carrying out service for North Devon Women’s Aid and Barnstaple Poverty Action Group, and have recently had debt leaflets printed and distributed, in view of the present economic climate.
Our projects have been regularly featured in the local media, raising awareness to our programme areas, and promoting our local, national and international presence.
We have been working closely with the Purple Teardrop Campaign, obtaining signatures for their anti-trafficking petition, holding a seminar, at which the local media and the police were represented, and having car and truck stickers printed with the Crimestoppers number, should suspicion be raised.
We have been supporting and working with our Friendship Link Club in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, since 1982 and are launching a project which will assist with keeping girls in school. This will encompass the SIGBI programme area that aims to Educate, Empower and Enable girls and women.
Our membership covers a large area of Northern Devon, from Ilfracombe through Barnstaple and on to Bideford and beyond.
Click HERE to see our club website