Our book club meets on the fourth Tuesday of the month. Books are selected by agreement amongst the members and include both well loved classics and books by new authors. Usually a lively discussion ensues! We meet at different venues at lunchtime to chat over a light lunch. Some members just join in for the lunch rather than literary content.
We have read
- A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle – An enjoyable read.
- The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out Of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson – An enjoyable and amusing read.
- The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak – Moving and different from the film.
- Small Island by Andrea Levy – Very well written and interesting.
- The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens – Besides the great storyline, our minds were opened to the historical perspective.
- Speaking for myself – By Cherie Blair – An autobiography interesting for its insight into Ms Blair’s early life and which prompted discussion as to whether that insight changed our perception of the person.
- A Jane Austen book of our choice – Everyone has their own favourite.
- The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James –Great plot, sad story
- Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua –Provoked a heated discussion!
- The Miniaturist by
- Elizabeth is missing by Emma Healey