Women of Walsall – Are we what you have been looking for?
Soroptimist International of Walsall is part of a world-wide organisation for women, with around 90,000 Soroptimist sisters in more than 100 countries all working for the same aims – to enable women and girls to achieve their full potential in peaceful, sustainable communities wherever they may live.
Walsall club is one of 12 in the region of Midland Chase, which spans Staffordshire, Shropshire and most of the Black Country. Midland Chase is part of the Soroptimist federation of Great Britain & Ireland; besides these two countries the federation includes English-speaking countries in the Caribbean and Africa, as well as the Indian subcontinent – around 30 in total. Together with the federations of Europe, The Americas and South West Pacific Soroptimist International is present in most parts of the world.
- Soroptimists empower women and girls locally, nationally and worldwide
- Soroptimists promote the rights of children
- Soroptimists lobby and campaign on issues which directly affect women and do not shy away from controversy
- Soroptimists raise funds for local, national and international causes
- Soroptimists have special consultative status at the United Nations – one of only a handful of women’s organisations with this status
- Soroptimists promote the UN sustainable development goals
One of the important ways we can deepen our understanding of other parts of the world is by forging special relationships with Soroptimists in other clubs – we call these clubs our friendship links, and we can share news and matters of common interest wiuth them. Sometimes these clubs may be in far-flung parts of the world but some may be elsewhere in the UK and then we can get together and have fun seeing new places we may not have visited. One such club is SI Cambridge – we have had a friendship link for many years and get together somewhere convenient to both clubs at least once most years, such as the visit we made to see the Richard III visitors centre in Leicester.
Friendship Link visit with SI Cambridge to the KRIII centre in Leicester
One of the important things we do is raising awareness of those hidden but challenging issues such as human trafficking and modern slavery, in partnership with West Midlands Police, Black Country Women’s Aid and the local press.
INTERESTED?…………please contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone on 07527 104985.