Trentham Gardens outing August 2016
Summer picnic was enjoyed by members of club and friends for a fun day out with picnic and exploring the gardens. . .
PRESIDENTS’ OUTING TO BIRMINGHAM ASSAY OFFICE, 18TH JULY 2013 A small (but exclusive) group of members & friends ventured north to Birmingham to visit the Assay Office in Newhall Street, on the edge of the Jewellery Quarter. It has occupied its current site from 1877 – although the Birmingham Assay Office was originally established by Act of Parliament in 1773. This was due to lobbying by Matthew Boulton, who was fed up with transporting his manufactured metal goods to London & Chester for testing & hallmarking. The anchor became the hallmark symbol for Birmingham – not because it was as far as you can get from the sea in England, nor because it was the centre of the canal network – but because it was the name of the London inn where Boulton took refreshment when he was lobbying parliament. It was the Crown &