• Soroptimist International is committed to a world where women and girls together achieve their individual and collective potential, realise aspirations and have an equal voice in creating strong, peaceful communities worldwide.
• Soroptimists inspire action and create opportunities to transform the lives of women and girls through a global network of members and international partnerships.
1. Soroptimist International will improve the lives and status of women and girls through education, empowerment or enabling opportunities.
2. Soroptimist International will be a global voice for increasing access to education and leadership for women and girls
There are nearly 80,000 Soroptimists worldwide, the majority of whom belong to their local Club, where they can make friends with like-minded women, have fun and work on projects that help improve the lives of women and girls locally, nationally and internationally.
Soroptimist International Great Britain and Ireland (SIGBI) also offers Associate Membership, for busy women who believe in what we do but do not have the time to get involved in Club activities.
Soroptimist International (SI) and SIGBI both have consultative status at the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) at the United Nations (UN), which gives us a voice on important discussion papers, and allows us to attend the Commission on the Status of Women in New York each March, and contribute to the “Agreed Conclusions”. This status would not be possible without the fantastic work being done by our Members.
Clubs choose projects to work on that tackle one of the five Programme Areas identified by Soroptimist International:
• Economic Empowerment
• Environmental Sustainability
• Food Security and Healthcare
• Violence and Conflict Resolution
All our work is linked to the UN Sustainable Development Goals whether it’s local, national or international. All projects work towards ending poverty, eradicating hunger, providing education for all and preserving the environment.
Members and Associate Members can support their projects by practical and/or financial support, or by Advocacy (lobbying governments and raising awareness of the issue).
As well as supporting their own projects, Clubs and Members also support a number of SI and SIGBI charities and projects.
Information about our regional projects can be found here. For details about future events, click here and for past events, click here.
Here are the outgoing officers receiving their leaving gifts from President Barbara (centre) at the AGM held on 24 November 2018.