About our club
Some members of the Club packing school backpacks for Mary’s Meals
Soroptimist International of Sevenoaks was chartered in 1938 and has a lively membership of women who live or work locally and are active in a diverse range of businesses, the professions and voluntary work. This year our club celebrates its 75th anniversary.
Members have the opportunity to develop their interests in a number of issues important to us all, such as education, the environment and health. The organisation greatly values the contribution and expertise of every member, regardless of how much or how little time each is able to give.
Recent and current local projects include:
- Supporting the Sevenoaks Women’s Refuge, Cornfield House
- Supporting the Spring House Family Support Centre with equipment, personal development and children’s Christmas Party.
- Supporting DAVSS (Domestic Abuse Volunteer Support Services)
- Supporting the Rockdale Appeal to build a new care home for the elderly
- Organsing a Fairtrade tea and entertainment for Rockdale residents
Soroptimism has great international appeal and our recent activities include:
- Raising money for Mary’s Meal – a charity whose main focus is to attract hungry children to the classroom by providing a daily meal at school.
- Collecting and filling 100 backpacks with school essentials for the Mary’s Meals programme in Malawi.
- Welcoming a visitor from Moldova on a Grant of Friendship visit to our Region (South East England)
- Maintaining a long standing friendship with Soroptimists in Freetown, Sierra Leone and supporting their project work – currently building of wells and toilet facilities
- Supporting SIGBI’s 3E Project Healthcare in the Gambia
We also meet for social events, often combined with fund raising. Fun and friendship are as important to us as our more serious activities.
The Sevenoaks Club meetings are held once a month on the second Tuesday of each month with additional social activities throughout the year. The Club meetings usually take the form of a speaker or discussion, followed by a short business section. Guests are cordially invited to the speaker and social events (see Calender of club events).