Past LOCAL projects include:
- Supporting the Sevenoaks Women’s Refuge, Cornfield House, by collecting goods for the women, funding counselling, providing garden furniture for the Refuge etc. ,
- Supporting DAVSS (Domestic Abuse Volunteer Support Services) which offers support for women and men experiencing domestic violence, with a view to averting crises.
- Starter Packs – supporting a West Kent Housing charity by giving donations to needy people to help set up homes
- Supporting the Rockdale Appeal to build a new care home for the elderly. Most recently we provided a garden bench for the newly landscaped grounds.
- Setting up the Sevenoaks Fairtrade Network, achieving Fairtrade Town Status for the town in 2005 and working to maintain .this over more than 10 years
- Organising a Fairtrade tea and entertainment for Rockdale residents
- Supporting the ‘Reducing Women’s Imprisonment’ project by researching what facilities there are for women offenders
- Hi Kent – a charity for the deaf and hard of hearing. We supported this local charity, which provides advice, information and useful equipment to assist deaf and hard of hearing people overcome problems associated with hearing loss. We raised money for Hi Kent at our 2016 Charity Quiz evening. https://hikent.org.uk/
Soroptimism has great international appeal and some of our past activities with OVERSEAS organisations include:
- Raising money for Mary’s Meals – a charity whose main focus is to attract hungry children to the classroom by providing a daily meal at school.
- Collecting and filling 100 backpacks with school essentials for the Mary’s Meals programme in Malawi.
- Welcoming a visitor from Moldova on a Grant of Friendship visit to our Region (South East England)
- Maintaining a long standing friendship with Soroptimists in Freetown, Sierra Leone, and supporting their project work – most recently building of wells and toilet facilities, but previously supplying a mobile dental unit for use in schools on the outskirts of Freetown.
- Supporting SIGBI’s the BIG (Birthing in the Gambia)Project by raising funds at our Swap for Spring.