History of the Soroptimist Club of Dublin
The Soroptimist Club of Dublin was chartered in 1938 by the Belfast Club, thus becoming the second Club in Ireland. At the time of the Charter Dinner in 1939 there were 24 members.
The founder president was Prof Agnes O’Farrelly M.A. Other interesting presidents include Miss Lillian Dillon, who helped to pioneer British aviation. She learnt to fly after the first world war and in the London to Cairo Air Race she came second! Another unusual president was the artist Miss Catherine O’Brien whose stained glass windows can be seen in Leighlin Cathedral, Kinsale Church of Ireland, Spiddal Catholic Church and abroad in England, Kenya and USA.
Times may have changed but the guiding principles of the Soroptimsts remain constant to this day.