Skip links

A Walk down Bangor Pier

On a sunny June evening several of our club members met up on Bangor Garth Pier for a walk, a chat and a bit of food and drink.
Garth Pier is the second longest pier in Wales and the 9th longest in the country (470m). It was opened in 1896 by Baron Penrhyn. In 1971 ownership was transferred to Arfon Borough Council who were going to demolish it but Bangor City Council were able to save it and obtain a Grade II listing for the structure, with the planning officer considering it one of the three finest surviving piers in Great Britain. Restoration work was needed and it was reopened in 1988 by the 7th Marquess of Anglesey.
More restoration work was needed from 2018 and it was reopened completely this year. It has been very popular for recreation with all the restrictions of the Covid pandemic. The kiosks, including the one at the end housing a traditional seaside tearoom, have been rented out to local small businesses. The kiosks presently house small but popular cafes, artist studios and a kiosk supplying crabbing and fishing gear. One kiosk was formerly used by the Bangor branch of the Soroptimists. There are also seats along the promenade, with memorial benches to RAF Group Captain Leslie Bonnet and writer Joan Hutt.
The Friends of Bangor Garth Pier help to promote the pier for the community and visitors.

It has recently been featured as the ‘winning travel tip’ in the Guardian for the wonderful views of the Menai straits and Snowdonia’s mountains.
We are very lucky that we still have a pier in Bangor.