Following a very enjoyable dinner , Club members received a very informative talk from two specailists breast cancer nurses from the Cardiff and Vale NHS Trust. Grace Uruski and Helen McGarrigle. Members then gave comfort cushions and drain bags hand made by members for Grace and Helen to give to patients at the hospital.
Thanks to Cwmbran Club for the instructions for the drain bags, twiddle muffs and heart shaped cushions. When making the drain bags please make the straps long enough to wear cross body
These drain bags are used by ladies who have had a mastectomy or other breast operations to hold drip bags .They can only be used once due to the risk of infection so hospitals need a constant supply.
- Draw a rectangle shape pattern onto paper 36cm depth and 54cm width.
- Pin paper pattern onto fabric. 1cm seam allowance is allowed on side and base of pattern and 4cm for top hem.
- Press under 1cm along top edge, then a second turning of 3cm onto wrong side of fabric for top hem.
- Pin, tack and machine close to fold.
- Fold fabric in half right sides together.
- Pin, tack and machine 1cm in from edge along base and side leaving a 2cm gap at the top to allow room for ribbon to be inserted.
- Turn through to right side and press.
- Insert 1 metre of ribbon
This muff pattern is ideal for using up left over and odd balls of wool
- Cast on 40 stitches with 6.5mm needles using 2 strands of double wool or 1 strand of chunky wool.
- Knit 6 rows in rib (k1p1).
- Working on stocking stitch (Knit 1 line, purl 1 line) using up oddments of various textures of wool i.e. chunky, mohair, wool until work measures 10 inches.
- Knit 6 rows in rib (k1p1)
- Cast off.
- Sew the two long edges together with right sides together.
- Decorate the muff using a variety of items i.e. ribbons, beads.
Heart Shaped Comfort Cushion
These cushions can be helpful for anyone who has undergone breast surgery.
- Draw a heart shape pattern onto paper measuring 36cm wide and 30cm depth.
- Pin paper pattern onto fabric. 1cm seam allowance is allowed on pattern.
- Cut out two heart shape pieces of fabric.
- Place 2 pieces of fabric right sides together.
- Pin, tack and machine around shape leaving an opening of 10cm for turning through.
- Snip into seam allowance on top curves to give a good shape.
- Turn trough to right side and press.
- Fill with terylene wadding to desired thickness.
- Slipstitch the opening to complete cushion.