Becoming Dementia Friends
At a recent meeting Skipton Soroptimists took part in a Dementia Friends Workshop during which they looked at the five key messages about dementia:
- Dementia is not a natural part of ageing.
- Dementia is caused by diseases of the brain.
- Dementia is not just about losing your memory – it can affect thinking, communicating and doing everyday tasks.
- It’s possible to live well with dementia.
- There’s more to a person than the dementia.
At the end of the workshop the participants became Dementia Friends and were invited to commit to one action they would take in future to help support people living with dementia.