Action to limit climate change is one of the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations. We all now understand the need to act to ensure a safer future for our children and grandchildren. Woking, like many other other towns, has declared a climate emergency.
For all these reasons, Woking Soroptimists have set up a Climate Action group to lead our community service in this area.
Calculate your carbon footprint
Do I really need to change what I do because of climate change? Find out with this easy calculator.
Dr Julia Tomas, Anti Slavery Co-ordinator at The Passage to the SI Woking Modern Slavery (MDS) Working Group and SI Woking & District members on 10th May 2022. Our conclusion: The figures are gruesome and the stories behind them harrowing. And we only hear of some of the cases – who knows how many more terrible experiences remain to be uncovered?.
Someone is in slavery if they are:
- forced to work through mental or physical threat
- owned or controlled by an ’employer’, usually through mental or physical abuse or the threat of abuse
- dehumanised, treated as a commodity or bought and sold as ‘property’
- physically constrained or have restrictions placed on his/her freedom
The following definitions are encompassed within the term ‘modern slavery’ for the purposes of the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
- ‘slavery’ is where ownership is exercised over a person
- ‘servitude’ involves the obligation to provide services imposed by coercion
- ‘forced or compulsory labour’ involves work or service extracted from any person under the menace of a penalty and for which the person has not offered himself voluntarily
- ‘human trafficking’ concerns arranging or facilitating the travel of another with a view to exploiting them.
Woking Soroptimists have set up a Modern Slavery group to lead our community service in this area.