What we Do – Programme Action
Soroptimists inspire action and create opportunities to transform the lives of women and girls through a global network of members and international partnerships. We are committed to a world where women and girls together achieve their individual and collective potential, realise aspirations and have an equal voice in creating strong and peaceful communities worldwide.
We strongly believe in
- Human Rights for all
- Global peace and international goodwill
- Advancing women’s potential
- Integrity and democratic decision making
- Volunteering, diversity and friendship
We call our voluntary work “Programme Action”. Programme Action is the reason for being a Soroptimist. It reflects the Vision and the Mission of Soroptimist International.
Our members work to the goals and objectives agreed by all parts of Soroptimist International (SI). These goals and objectives are called our ‘Programme Focus’ and they provide the structure, or ‘focus’ of all our project work.
The 5 Ps
Our programme work is linked to the 5Ps from the United Nations Sustainable Development goals and we try to do some activity in each of the areas during the year.
The areas are
People SDG’s 1-5;
Prosperity SDG’s 7-12;
Planet SDG’s 6 and 12-14
Peace SDG 16
Partnerships for the goals SDG 17
Sustainable Development Goals
The UN sustainable development goals are: 1. No Poverty; 2. Zero Hunger; 3. Good Health and Well-being; 4 Quality Education; 5.Gender Equality; 6. Clean Water and Sanitation; 7. Affordable and Clean Energy; 8. Decent Work and Economic Growth; 9. Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure; 10. Reduced Inequalities; 11. Sustainable Cities and Communities; 12. Responsible Consumption and Production; 13. Climate Action; 14. Life Below Water; 15. Life on Land; 16. Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions; 17. Partnerships for the Goals.
For more information about the Sustainable Development Goals http://www.un.org
Programme Goals and Objectives:
Goal 1: Soroptimist International will improve the lives and status of women and girls through education, empowerment or enabling opportunities – the 3 E’s.
- Increase access to formal and non-formal leaning opportunities.
- Improve access to economic empowerment and sustainable opportunities for the employment of women.
- Eliminate violence against women and girls and ensure women’s participation in conflict resolution.
- Ensure women and girls have food security and access to the highest attainable standard of health care.
- Address the specific needs of women and girls by improving environmental security, and mitigating effects of climate change and disasters.
Goal 2: Soroptimist International will be a global voice for increasing access to education and leadership for women and girls.
- Strengthen and increase Soroptimist International’s presence as an advocate at all levels.
- Intensify activities and partnerships that raise the international profile and visibility of Soroptimist International.
- Ensure that the foundation of Soroptimist International’s global advocacy is local and global project activity.