SI Nantwich and District History
The Club was chartered by Ellesmere Port Club and the first President in 1950 was Mrs P Roe who was Head Teacher at a local private school. Meetings were held at lunchtime at Nantwich Civic Hall and were conducted in a very formal atmosphere.
In the early years categories of members tended to be the proprietors of local businesses or women involved in local Council work, and schoolteachers from a variety of schools. There was regular contact with our Mother Club (Ellesmere Port) and Sister Clubs (Northwich and Runcorn) when invitations to Birthday parties and formal dinners were exchanged. As women took advantage of educational opportunities they began to make their mark in a greater variety of professions, and club categories became more diverse. In Nantwich we had members who were police officers, chemists, pharmacists, a milliner, a farmer, hairdresser, in addition to representatives from many aspects of teaching, health care and the business world.
Our Club was well represented at Divisional Union, now called Regional, meetings, which were held at Chester and in our history four of our members have held the post of DU and Regional President.