Ok – you’ve got this far. You’re obviously thinking of joining an organisation and wondering what have the Soroptimists got to offer that other women’s organisations haven’t. Good question – so let’s ask some of our members ………….
1. Mixing with like minded women. 2. To try and do a bit of good in the world – every little helps to make a difference. 3. We have more bite globally and perhaps wider expertise, all coming from different professional backgrounds.Opportunity to travel widely and liaise with women from other countries with same agenda. Also, good social side.
I joined originally to meet other women – having been in Guiding for many years.
I like the friendship, knowledge and expertise of members in their various professions and interests.
This can be called upon if you experience a problem.
I like the worldwide aspect of Soroptimism – friendships overseas and hearing about the lives of women in very different countries to our own.
I trust that we can make a difference to the lives of women and girls both here and abroad by support, fund raising, lobbying and making Governments and other agencies aware of problems that need to be solved.
In the local club I value the friendship, care and support to one another. It is good to find a local need in which the club can help by service or fund raising.
It is great to have social events, good speakers both at club and conference level in an organisation where we are all valued.
I would not have been a member for 44 years if I had not appreciated the value of Soroptimism.
I joined 25 years ago because I was invited to and had just got divorced and didn’t know anyone in Preston. My head office was based in Hampshire and my family were in Manchester!!!
It proved to be an excellent reason to join. We have had lots of good events over the years and I have met some very interesting women. I feel it is good in some small way to have the opportunity to give something back to society.
* I enjoy being part of an organisation where I can meet with women of like mind
* I enjoy working within the Programme Action Areas and whilst feeling personally fulfilled from the service I give, I have the added bonus that my efforts are contributing in some way to women and girls eithe locally, nationally or internationally
* I enjoy the social aspects of providing service.
* I enjoy the international aspect of Soroptimism and in particular when I have the opportunity to travel and meet sisters across the waters and share views etc.
1) I HAVE MET PEOPLE I WOULD NOT OTHERWISE HAVE MET.
2) I HAVE MADE LASTING FRIENDSHIPS I WOULD NOT OTHERWISE HAVE MADE
3)I HAVE VISITED PLACES I WOULD NOT OTHERWISE HAVE VISITED
4) I HAVE DEVELOPED INTERESTS AND AWARENESS I WOULD NOT OTHERWISE HAVE DEVELOPED
Being a member of Soroptimist International has given me the opportunity to meet and work on projects with like-minded women. Programme Action is the life blood of the organisation and gives each and every member the opportunity to do something for society.
Enjoy social side and want to ‘give something back’ ( praps not in that order)
I wasn’t too sure if I should join or not and when I did join I wasn’t too sure if I’d done the right thing – it seemed I’d never understand the jargon and what was going on. But I stuck it out – got involved and I am SO glad that I did. I have made friends, learnt things, been involved and become a ‘sister’. Being a Soroptimist is an important part of my life now.
So. ladies. there you have it. Just some of our members’ reasons. It’s not easy to put into words but we are an international organisation with a friendly, local feel. Come along to one of our meetings, have a chat – blimey! what have you got to lose apart from a couple of hours on a Wednesday evening? What else would you be doing – the ironing? That’ll keep. Watching Midsomer Murders? There’s IPlayer.
Come on – We can’t wait to meet you.
Don’t hesitate – ring our membership Officer Dylis Hayton right now. You can reach her on 01772 747943