About our club
RAMSBOTTOM is a small market town in Greater Manchester, England The name probably means “ram’s valley” from the Old English ramm, a ram and botm, a valley. However some toponymists interpret it as wild-garlic-valley, with the first element representing the Old English hramsa meaning “wild garlic”.
March 1952 – SI Ramsbottom Chartered sponsored by SI Bury, who became our Mother Club.
July 2015 – Currently our club has 23 members of all ages, interests and diversity. We have social workers, teachers, receptionist, guider, magistrates, company directors, accountant and others involved in voluntary work.
Club Meetings are held on the second Tuesday at Ramsbottom Cricket Club at 7.30 and on the fourth Tuesday at 7.45p.m. with an optional two course meal prior to the meeting at 6.30.
The venue is the Red Hall Hotel. Walmsley Road, Ramsbottom.
Soroptimist International of Ramsbottom members work:
- to promote justice and equality by education to enable and empower women through economic independence.
- Encourage and enable greater participation in decision making at all levels of society
- with club, regional, national and international service projects.
We are a Global Voice for Women, striving, through Awareness, Advocacy & Action, for Human Rights for All, Equality, Development and Peace through International Goodwill and Understanding.
In the last few years we have supported the following organisations amongst others:
- Mary’s Meals.
- Target Ovarian Cancer
- Bolton Mountain Rescue
- Rossendale & Bury Hospices
- NW Air Ambulance
- Brathay Trust.
- Victims Supports
- Macmillan Nurses
How do we do this:
- Within the club we provide support and friendship for all members.
- We hold annual events to raise funds e.g. Charity Theatre Night; Strawberry & Christmas Treats and our popular Charity Lunch at the Cricket Cub. at which we sponsor a match. We also hold an Afternoon Tea for senior members of the Community.
- We serve the local community by supporting the hospice and other projects. Each month members staff the reception desk at the Bury Hospice.
We join with other Soroptimist members to serve the larger communities at Region, National and International level.
SOROPTIMIST INTERNATIONAL OF RAMSBOTTOM ARE INTERESTED IN INVITING NEW MEMBERS TO JOIN US. ARE YOU INTERESTED IN KNOWING MORE – PLEASE CONTACT US.