The members of Soroptimist International of Stafford are not letting a pandemic get them down! Although we cannot meet face to face, there have been numerous Zoom meetings, plus at least 4 very active What’sApp groups on various topics and a Facebook page that is getting quite a lot of attention!
So, what are Stafford Soroptimists doing?
- The normal twice a month meeting schedule has resumed, meeting on Zoom rather than face to face. It’s already proving very successful.
- Exchanging messages, news, useful tips and photos on our social What’sApp group, keeping everyone in touch with each other, amused and informed. We have several members living on their own through the lockdown, and this What’sApp group is especially important for them (though we all enjoy it!)
- Sewing scrubs for a Care Home. To date, 45 sets of scrubs have been sent off with more in the pipeline, and we wait to hear more about sizes and other requirements before starting on a second round.
- Under the expert tuition of one of our members who is Chinese we have a group of members who meet regularly outdoors for Tai Chi (properly socially distanced, of course.)
- Art Appreciation. This group has a loyal following! We Zoom weekly, with one of the members introducing us to an artist, a painting, or a topic that has taken her interest. None of us is an expert, but we’ve all learned a lot from each other.
- A number of members have volunteered their services to the NHS and other local support groups. Many of our members regularly volunteer at Drake Hall Prison, providing refreshments for prisoners’ visitors, and sadly at the moment this has had to be put on hold. We are always on the look-out for knitting wool, puzzle books, jigsaws and other items that can occupy the women, especially in these difficult Covid times.
We can’t wait to get back to our normal programme, and will keep this website up to date with developments. Watch this space!
Read our latest newsletter below.