The cover photo shows a familiar, and usually uplifting, sight in high summer: a field of wheat after harvest. But this year, the picture reminds us that many people in the world may not get the cereals they need. And we think of Ukraine which needs to sell its wheat to help its suffering people.
In August, Soroptimists can take time to look at what is coming up in the autumn:
24 September-2 October 2022, Woking’s Great Big Green Week
This year, WeAct is encouraging Woking people and businesses to take the jump and shift to more climate-protective ways. WeAct suggest:
- Ending clutter by keeping products for at least seven years
- Travelling fresh – if possible, without personal vehicles
- Eating green – by moving to a plant-based diet
- Dressing Retro – by buying only three new items of clothing per year
- Holidaying locally – by taking one flight every three years
- Changing the system – by making at least one life shift to nudge the system
Find out more about what’s on during the week at WeAct‘s new premises in Mercia walk.
SI Woking is holding a (furry, pink) pig-racing event in mid-October 2022. Always great fun, the event will raise money for YourSanctuary.
You will be able to see works of art by women from the Women’s Support Centre in Woking from 26 October to 27 November 2022. The Women’s Support Centre works with women who are affected by the Criminal Justice System. This theme of this year’s exhibition is ‘Masks’. Entry is free.