We call our voluntary work “Programme Action”. Programme Action is the reason for being a Soroptimist. It reflects the Vision and the Mission of Soroptimist International.
The Soroptimist International vision is that women and girls will achieve their individual and collective potential, realise aspirations and have an equal voice in creating strong, peaceful communities worldwide.
Soroptimists transform the lives and status of women and girls through education, empowerment and enabling opportunities.
The SI Programme Focus is a set of goals and objectives relating directly to the Programme Areas. This provides the structure, or “focus” of all our project work. It is updated once every four years at the International Convention. The next International Convention will be held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from18-20 July, 2019.
Soroptimists will ensure that women and girls:
- Enjoy equity and equality
- Live in safe and healthy environments
- Have access to education
- Have leadership and practical skills
1. Eliminate poverty and gender discrimination through ensuring women’s full social and economic rights
2. End human trafficking and all forms of violence against women and girls
3. Ensure access to health care for women and girls
4. Support programmes and policies that would eliminate HIV/AIDS, malaria, TB and other major diseases
5. Improve access to clean water, sanitation and essential food resources
6. Mitigate the effects of climate change and integrate sustainability into personal choices and governmental policies and programmes
7. Meet the needs of women and girls during and after armed conflicts, man-made and natural disasters
8. Promote peaceful processes for conflict resolution through encouragement of intercultural and inter-racial tolerance and condemnation of all forms of genocide and terrorism
9. Ensure equal access to education and training throughout their lifespan
10.Enable women’s advancement in management, politics and decision making