Plastic Free July is a global movement that helps millions of people be part of the solution to plastic pollution … by choosing to refuse single use plastics.
At our July Club meeting Elaine led a discussion on avoiding single use plastic. There are many different types of plastic making it difficult to identify, separate and recycle successfully resulting in most plastic waste going to landfill.
Simple tips from SIGBI for the Soroptimist Day of Action
- Carry reusable shopping bags
- Drink coffee from a reusable cup
- Avoid pre-packaged foods by choosing bulk or loose food
- Avoid bottled water
- Avoid single-use dental products
- Try alternatives to single-use tampons and pads
- Swap liquid soap for bar soaps
Members added to these by suggesting toothpaste in metal tubes, butter in blocks rather than tubs, washing powder in cardboard cartons, unpackaged fruit and veg, milk in glass bottles, food staples from zero waste shops, reusable alternatives to cling film …. and lots more.