Soroptimist International Northern Ireland (SINI), Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute (AFBI) and Queen’s University Belfast (QUB) celebrated renowned female scientists in recognition of International Women’s Day 2021.
The virtual free event was held on March 6 2021:
Speakers were introduced by Mrs Melanie Douglas-Kerrin, President Soroptimist International NI including;
- Dr Elizabeth Magowan (Director of Sustainable Agri-Food Sciences, AFBI)
- Professor Louise Cosby (Head of Virology, AFBI)
- Professor Sharon Huws (Institute for Global Food Security, QUB)
- Dr Lisa Black (Head of AFBI Crossnacreevy)
- Professor Niamh O‘Connell (Institute for Global Food Security, QUB)
- Mrs Josephine Kelly (Acting Chief Executive, AFBI)
Mrs Joan Houston, (AFBI Board Member and Member of the SINI Regional Executive), drew the event to its conclusion.
Speakers gave an overview of their work and how it aligns with delivery of the UN Sustainability Goals in their roles as leaders within academia, their respective organisations and society at large.
This event brought together strategic partners AFBI and QUB presenting how they are actively engaged to enable the delivery of state-of-the-art science addressing the challenges faced by agri-food at a local and global level.
On International Women’s day Soroptimist International of Northern Ireland is delighted to promote the role of these women, meeting UN sustainability goals showing impact across the world.