During the club year 2022-23, with President Jill as our lead, the club has supported many local and international charities and given service.
The president’s current chosen charities are:
- Cornwall Hospice Care
- Inspiring Women Network – Truro
- Freedom Kit Bags – Tackling period poverty in Nepal
So what sort of action do we take to raise our profile locally and nationally?
- Hosted the Open Gardens Event at Boconnoc House raising funds for Cornwall Hospice Care.
- Organised a Brilliant Breakfast in aid of the Prince’s Trust.
- Supported the Mayor’s Charity Day in Truro
- Established a flower bed in St Austell in remembrance of a former member Jo Bennett.
- Run a Soroptimist Awareness Stand at Truro and Penwith College’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion events promoting our STEM. work
- Organised a book ‘give away’ at St Austell Library giving away over 1000 books to local families to mark World Literacy Day.
- Organised a beach clean and survey of findings at Charlestown beach to raise awareness of beach pollution
- Asked shoppers to donate non perishable food at Tesco St Austell to pass on to local women’s Refuges on International Day for the Elimination of Violence against women in November.
- Sponsored two all-girl teams to enter the First Lego League Challenge in order to support girls in science
- Decorated a Christmas tree in St Bartholomew’s Church in Lostwithiel.
- Organised a book ‘give away’ at Lanlivery to support their Literature Festival
- Attended the Remembrance Day Parade in St Austell to pay respects and raise awareness of Soroptimism
- Run a very successful Autumn Fayre in Charlestown raising funds for Look Good Feel Better.
- Made regular contributions on Radio Cornwall with Tiffany Truscott raising awareness of various issues
- Supported The Women’s Centre Bodmin and Inspiring Women’s Network at their International Women’s Day Events.
- Presented Buddy Benches to two local primary schools to support relationships education
- Organised our county-wide Unsung Heroine Awards ceremony to raise the status in local women who give outstanding service to their communities
- Run a STEM stand at the National Armed Forces Youth Day in Falmouth to raise awareness of our support for girls in science
- Organised and run the Sticker Memory Café to support carers and those with dementia
In what other ways do we support women and girls through action?
- A one off sponsorship for local schoolgirl Hannah who travelled to Ghana to volunteer at a local school
- Continuing sponsorship of 11 yr old Priyanka through El Shaddai in Goa.
- STEM Educational Bursaries To Sophie Millington (Engineering),Ellen Winn (Engineering) and Ellie Greenwood ( Carpentry)
Collections and donations of food ,clothing, household items, school uniforms and furniture.
- We donated Christmas gifts to children in temporary housing.
- We collect Bras for BRAS Against Breast Cancer
- We donate items to Physionet.
- We donate good quality clothing to Cornwall Air Ambulance shop.
Financial support also given to:
- Womens Refuges
- St Petroc’s
- St Austell Foodbank
- Royal British Legion
- St Austell Library
We also encourage our soroptimist members to volunteer in other organisations: