Welcome to our Club
From Presidents Paddy and Sallie
We are a group of women from different walks of life with a variety of interests who enjoy working together through fun, friendship and fellowship to make a difference to women and children locally, nationally and internationally. There’s more about us in Who we are
Locally we support St David’s Hospice Care, Women’s Aid, Tools for Self Reliance, collect and sell pre-loved jewellery for Alzheimer’s Society, make drain bags and comfort cushions for ladies who have had mastectomies. Knit Comfort Teddies which are kept by Social Services, Schools, in Police/Fire vehicles/ambulances and given out to small children involved in traumatic or upsetting circumstances. Give copies of ‘Women in Science’ to local primary schools. Internationally we support Plan (a global children’s Charity), Water Aid, Mary’s Meals, Empowering Girls in Nepal and much more to be found in What we do
We can also be found on Facebook under Soroptimist International Cwmbran and on Twitter.
Our business and speaker meetings are held on the second Monday of the month (with the exception of August and December) at Greenmeadow Golf and Country Club (just off the A4042 on Treherbert Road, Croesyceiliog) and we have other social and fundraising events throughout the year. These have now been suspended due to Coronavirus restrictions and replaced with Zoom virtual meetings (see below)
As well as our Zoom meetings we also have a virtual coffee morning on Zoom instead of our monthly coffee morning at the Parkway putting the money we would have spent towards our Charities.
We continue with our monthly newsletter and from October’s edition we know that
- Llanyravon Church knitters continue with their Lent knitting project knitting items for Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospital. Marilyn has said the total to date is 100 jackets, 33 bobble hats, 22 scarves, 2 bonnets and 12 teddies. This is a great effort by the knitters. Mary will deliver these to the hospital when rules allow.
- SIGBI asked clubs to complete the MASKS for Equality campaign survey to enable them to collate what contribution clubs had made practically during Coronvirus. Jen, Marian, Mary and Rosemary have made 140 Face Masks, 36 Scrub Bags and 65 Mask Extenders going to Child Care Provision, NHS workers, Volunteers, Club members, friends and family.
- Face Coverings – We have been making face coverings for members, family, friends, nursery and some members of Llanyravon Church over the last few months. People have generously donated £465 to date for the masks which will be divided between the NHS charity and St. David’s Hospice.Mary has made 90 face coverings which are being sold at St. David’s Charity shop in Old Cwmbran for £2.50 each raising a total of £225 for St. David’s to date. She has also made masks for the ladies who work in the shop. Well done Mary on all your hard work.
- A number of members have been making and selling cakes for charity.
- Comfort teddies have been delivered to Monmouth and Abergavenny Ambulance teams to help patients in these stressful times.
- Lynne continues to do voluntary work at the Hub and as does Clare with patients at Panteg Hospital.
The newsletter finished with another trip down memory lane with Caroline telling us about when she and Marian attended the SI international conference in 2003 in Sydney.
Zoom speaker meeting on Tuesday, 3rdNovember with Emma Saysell, Chief Executive of St David’s Hospice.
We are always pleased to have new members and if you want to know more, attend one of our virtual meetings or coffee morning or just have an informal chat over a cup of tea or coffee (depending on current restrictions) please click on the ‘Join Us’ button below.