Welcome to SI Durham
What do we do?
Like all Soroptimist Clubs, we work together to support the Vision, Mission and Programme Goals of Soroptimism International. Our ‘Programme Action’ projects range from advocacy, actions, fundraising and voluntary help to support causes at a local, regional, national and international level.
- Soroptimist International is committed to a world where women and girls together achieve their individual and collective potential, realise aspirations and have an equal voice in creating strong, peaceful communities worldwide.
- Soroptimists inspire action and create opportunities to transform the lives of women and girls through a global network of members and international partnerships.
- Human Rights for all
- Global peace and international goodwill
- Advancing women’s potential
- Integrity and democratic decision making
- Volunteering, diversity and friendship
- Soroptimist International will improve the lives and status of women and girls through education, empowerment or enabling opportunities.
- Soroptimist International will be a global voice for increasing access to education and leadership for women and girls.
We meet formally on the first and third Mondays of the month except August and the third Monday in December to discuss and plan our activities. Supper meetings start at 7.15 pm, and are held at Ramside Hall Hotel, Business meetings start at 7p.m. and are held at County Hall, Durham City.
The first Monday meeting is a Supper evening where members enjoy a two-course meal, socialise and are often entertained by an after dinner speaker. Our annual Charter dinner/lunch in May, to which other Clubs and external guests are invited, replaces the normal Supper meeting. This signifies the start of a new Presidential Year and is usually held at a prestigious local venue. The July Supper meeting has traditionally been a Mystery Trip followed by supper at an external venue.
The Business meeting on the third Monday deals with Club business and activity, Regional and Federation business, and Programme Action. The meetings are an opportunity to update one another on progress with Programme Action projects/decide on new initiatives to support where relevant. There may be a short presentation from an outside organisation on issues the Club is concerned about and with. Visitors are most welcome to any meeting but especially to the Supper evening.
Members get together for Coffee on the last working day of the month from 10.30 am onwards. The venues vary from month to month. We also try to organise social events including theatre visits, concerts, outings to places of interest etc.
SI Durham has friendship links with SI:-
- Wageningen in the Netherlands
- Richmond and Dales, Yorkshire Region
- Cirencester and District, South West & Channel Isles Region
- Bangalore, India
We exchange correspondence with these Clubs, attend events wherever practical, meet up with fellow members at Conference, and support the Clubs in their work whenever possible.
Representatives on other organisations
Members of the Club are involved with many other organisations as well as Soroptimism. We have formal representatives on the local groups of the RSPCA and the Osteoporosis Society, on the Wear Surma Clinic Executive committee (an initiative of SI Sunderland) and the Durham Women’s Refuge.
Club Committees and Programme Action Groups
Members join one of the following Club committees and are involved in their particular activity as well as the Club’s general events and projects.
- Programme Action – the Convenors of each programme action group
- President’s programme/Fundraising/Social Events
- Press and Publicity
Members also belong to a Programme Action Group which reflects their own particular field of interest and which can progress particular issues as well as contributing to the general Programme Action projects the Club decides upon each year. The Executive Committee meets on the second Monday of each month in the President’s home.
Programme Action projects – ongoing service in the local community:
Members work for the local community by supporting St Cuthbert’s Hospice, the Durham Women’s Refuge, the People’s Kitchen in Newcastle, Durham Foodbanks and Moving On Durham.
Supporting the President’s Charities and other committed causes
Throughout each year, members raise funds for the President’s charities and other committed causes. We also support Regional projects -helping to provide ‘New Start’ bags for the women helped by the Jarrett project supporting trafficked women – and National and International projects – the main one at present being the BIG project – Birthing in the Gambia. This is a three year fundraising challenge which will save the lives of countless critically ill women, babies and children in the Gambia
We are a thriving Club, but we are always happy to welcome new members.
If you would like more information about our club, and would be interested in coming along to one of our meetings with a view to joining us, you would be most welcome. Please complete the Contact Form or Contact us