Working on projects, whether local, regional, national or international, that make a difference to the lives of women and children, especially girls, is one of the main reasons women join the organisation of Soroptimist International.
Some of SI Taunton’s on-going projects include:
- the annual Swimathon weekend held in February – see our Soroptimist Swimathon page. We have been running an Annual Swimathon since 1988, during which time we have raised over £610,900 for charities, making it one of the most successful fund-raising events in the South West.
- organising Skirting Science, a one day event which is a STEM initiative for girls – see our Skirting Science page.
- sponsorship of an orphaned girl called Martha in the SOS Children’s Village in Tema, Ghana to enable her to attend school regularly. We also send a card and present at Christmas and her birthday.
- monthly donation of food and other items to the Taunton Trussell Trust Foodbank – over 750 Kg of food so far.
- support for the local Women’s Refuge.
- funding solar lighting projects by collecting loose change at meetings.