What is Soroptimism, who are we and what do we do?
Soroptimist International is a global volunteer movement working together to transform the lives of women and girls.
There are currently over 80,000 members in clubs in 130 countries throughout the world.
Our Goals are to:
- Improve the lives and status of women and girls through education, empowerment or enabling opportunities
- To be a global voice for increasing access to education and leadership for women and girls.
As part of the world’s largest service organisation, Soroptimist International, we are committed to a world where women and girls together achieve their individual and collective potential, realise aspirations and have an equal voice in creating strong and peaceful communities worldwide.
Soroptimist International has consultative status at the United Nations and is a recognised Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) representing women all over the world.
- Human rights for all
- Global peace and international goodwill
- Advancing women’s potential
- Integrity and democratic decision making
- Volunteering, diversity and friendship
The word ‘Soroptimist’ comes from the Latin words ‘soror’ (sister) and ‘optima’ (best) – and we translate this as ‘the best for women’.
Our Projects (Programme Action work) are based on our Goals and the long term theme ‘Educate to Lead’. For further information on our projects please visit ‘Our Projects’