Soroptimist International (SI) is a service organisation taking part in projects involving raising awareness, advocacy and action. This is called Programme Action. Our projects are focussed on improving the lives of women and girls worldwide.
At a club level we work on a number of projects trying to focus on women and girls but not exclusively. We work on projects in 3 groups covering the following areas:
- Food Security and Healthcare
- Environmental Sustainability
- Economic Empowerment & Violence and Conflict Resolution
Each group has a Facilitator and a Co-ordinator. The club’s Programme Action Officer co-ordinates the work of the groups. Groups sometimes work on joint projects with all club members contributing to the project.
Our Programme Action involves various activities both local and National and International such as:
- Maintaining the Sensory garden
- Supporting the Federation Project ” Empowering Girls in Nepal”
- Raising awareness of Violence against women, including support for Barrow Women’s Centre and Springfield Refuge in Kendal
- Developing and running “Singing for Memory” in the Grange area.
- Raising awareness of Modern Slavery and Trafficking
The work in PA is an essential part of being a Soroptimist and is often fun as well as a commitment. Our club work is reported via the online reporting system to Soroptimist International and helps to maintain ourstatus at the UN.
You can view short reports of some of our activities under specific pages or in the Club News.