The Planet & Environment group is a relatively new service group within S I Lichfield & District and it’s early days yet, however quite a lot has been achieved in a short space of time.
The Planet group wants to involve as many members as possible in its activities, given that being outside in nature is so good for our mental and physical health.
So far it has focussed on these areas:
- Understanding our personal carbon footprints and what they are telling us
- Reducing the quantity of single-use plastics we consume as a group
- Reducing our consumption overall
- Upcycling, Reusing and Recycling items such as textiles, and snacks & toiletry packaging waste
- Improving our local environment for people, bees and other pollinators
- Planting trees and cleaning up litter
The Group has carried out “civic gardening” activities at the Chapters Garden at Lichfield Cathedral and in a council-owned planting area near Lichfield City Station. With a lot of hard work they have transformed several overgrown, unloved areas into bright, green spaces attractive to humans, animals and insects alike. S I Lichfield & District has also commissioned and delivered several large, well stocked planters to the Pathway Project which will be maintained by the charity’s service users going forward.
We’ll be undertaking a series of Litter Picks across our district starting at Brereton in partnership with the Brereton Million, and later in 2020 we’ll be working to plant trees to celebrate the SIGBI Centenary in 2021.
Several other similar projects are in the pipeline, many of which will involve partnership working.