Our Sewing Bee is one of our most active service groups and perfect for members with those enviable textile craft skills such as sewing (hand or machine), knitting, and crochet.
The members have mixed skills – some more advanced than others – but there’s something for everyone to contribute to regardless of whether you’re a beginner or not. The group is a lively one and very sociable.
A group of around 16-18 members meets socially each month for an evening to make:
- Reusable sanitary protection kits for the Days for Girls project via the Baraka charity in Zambia
- Teddies for The Buddy Bag Foundation and for overseas charities
- Girls’ dresses for The Kori Project in Sierra Leone
- Blankets and shawls for overseas mother and baby projects
- Special request items such as bereavement hearts, uniform washing bags which we made at home during the social isolation imposed by the CV-19 pandemic of 2020
In addition we are open to other requests for items which we can make and donate to suitable charitable outlets in the UK and overseas.
The group re-purposes fabrics such as cotton-rich bedding, table cloths and other household textiles for its sewing projects, and is always grateful for donations of fabric, thread, girls’ T shirts, wool and sewing notions.
If this is something you think you’d enjoy, why not come along and meet us?