SI Perth was formed in 1934, a daughter club of SI Dundee, with 17 members. Through the 30’s the club became increasingly involved in local affairs and support of local charities.
The war years saw our members manning forces canteen at Perth railway station. Money raised at Jumble and other sales was sent to war charities with some going to Russia, China and Malta. We were also on the receiving end of food parcels from America. One such parcel even contained a pair of silk stockings for each of our members!
During the 1950’s Perth SI were busy fund-raising for assorted charities, hosting Christmas parties for children in hospital, forming international links and becoming “mother” to SI Crieff.
Throughout the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s many and varied tasks were undertaken and new friendships formed. We have links to clubs in England, Denmark, America, Australia and, more recently, India. We have provided hospital equipment, residential home furnishings, presents of books, toys and toiletries to children at home and overseas.
In 1993 the city of Perth was devastated by flood and our club received £1000 from SIGBI Emergency Relief Fund. This was used to take groups of displaced children on outings and help some families back into their homes.
Into the 21st century and our club collected Best Practice Awards at two Federation conferences, reflecting the dedication and efforts of a hard working and dynamic club.