As part of an international organization we are very proud that SIGBI has Category 2 (Special Consultative) status and SI has Category 1 (General Consultative) Status with ECOSOC at the UN. This is totally dependent on our continuing work to help meet the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
We work for:
- People (SDG 1,2,3,4,5), to end poverty and hunger in all forms and ensure dignity and equality
- Prosperity (SDG 7,8,9,10,11) to ensure prosperous and fulfilling lives with economic, social and technological progress occurring in harmony with nature
- Peace (SDG 6) to foster peaceful, just and inclusive societies free from fear and violence
- Partnerships (SDG 17) being revitalised to implement the agenda, focusing on the needs of the poorest and most vulnerable
- Planet (SDG 6,12,13,14,15) to protect natural resources and climate for future generations
We are Soroptimists because we believe we can make a difference to the lives of women and girls. The projects have all been chosen and supported by members. Some are long standing, others of more recent origin. We review what we do from time to time and re shape the way we do things.
In 2022-2023 five main groups are currently taking forward projects linking to the SDGs as well as local priorities: STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, mathematics) challenge, Planet Group, VAWG (violence against woman and girls), International and Lobbying.
You can read about our group work by clicking on the links in the drop down menu on the right. Enjoy!