Meru Women’s Garden Project in Kenya
The Meru Women’s Garden Project in Kenya is a project with Soroptimist International working with CHILD.org and CIFORD in Meru in Kenya. SI Grange are supporting this charity and started their fundraising with a Grease Film Singalong. and raised £562 . Fundraising in 2018 included a French Evening and Flower demonstration.
In 2019 members raised £88 from the sale of preserves at the Regional meeting. The money is for “Team Mum ” the project headed by Child.org and will improve maternity care for women in Meru.
Why Meru in Kenya ?
- 41% of women and girls are malnourished
- HIV is prevalent
- 28% girls undergo FGM
- Only 11% complete secondary education
By working with women we can help the whole community
- Women’s Gardens – women become self sufficient and feed their families
- School gardens – improve the number of children attending school and improve nutrition
- Alternatives to FGM
- Environmental protection – Eco stoves reduce deforestation
- Supporting UN Sustainable Development goals – 1,2,3,4,5,8 and 13