Programme Action is essentially the Projects we are involved with that help improve the lives of women and girls locally, nationally and internationally. Each Club has its own Projects but we also work together on Global Projects.
Soroptimist International (SI) and SIGBI both have consultative status at the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) at the United Nations (UN), which gives us a voice on important discussion papers, and allows us to attend the Commission on the Status of Women in New York each March, and contribute to the “Agreed Conclusions”. This status would not be possible without the fantastic work being done by our Members in LAR Clubs and those across the globe.
Lockdown has not deterred us from continuing with existing and starting new projects. Just some examples of Club activity are:
- strengthening links with partnership groups
- running online quizzes
- making items such as bags and scrubs and syringe driver bags for their local hospital
- lobbying their MPs about the Domestic Abuse Bill
- making donations to food bank and the night shelter
- some members are submitting an entry to the Chora Chori Big Story Challenge
- several responded to the recent 2.6 challenge raising well needed funds.
- Clubs have been providing full toiletry bags to new clients to the local Refuge and ‘Moving on Items’ to those setting up in their new home,both of which make such a difference
- funds have been sent to Age Concern
- Overseas charities have also been supported such as The Hillcrest Aids Trust who benefit from one member and her Club who helped the Trust raise £1,700 via Facebook and their website which has provided food to 80 families in South Africa.
- and the Purple Community Fund which is active in the UK and the Philippines have also been sent funds to support their activities