Our STEAM Challenge – a Special Project
SI Bournemouth’s STEAM Challenge for Girls in Years 8 and 9
The STEAM Challenge is now in its eighth year and continues to attract more interest from the engineering world. The challenge is for girls only in order to promote participation and raise aspirations in industries that young women often see as masculine and not for them.
Why this challenge?
It is nationally and internationally recognized that there is a shortage of girls choosing STEAM subjects as degrees, and a growing body of evidence about barriers to subsequent careers. We have created this challenge to inspire girls and encourage them to overcome these barriers.
We challenge the girls to create a solution to help people in the poorest parts of our world
Idea and design needs to be:
- Sustainable – energy and materials affordable with minimal impact upon the environment
- Fit for its intended purpose
- What problem your solution is going to help overcome?
- Who is going to benefit from your solution?
- How and where it is to be used?
- How many people is it going to help?
Teams consist of:
- Up to 5 girls in a team
- Schools may enter as many teams as would like to participate
- The design brief outlining the perceived need
- Evidence of research into possible solutions
- A plan of the final project
- A demonstration model to support the plan with some indication of how it should be scaled up for its intended purpose
- Demonstrate all elements of STEAM
Judging is based on the process of the project rather than the accuracy of the final demonstration model and detailed judging criteria will be provided on entry.
The Challenge Timetable:
- Information for Teachers Evening – Wednesday 25 September 2019
- Start challenge – October 2019
- Submission of completed project – Tuesday 25 February 2020
- Heat 1 – Monday 9 March 2020
- Heat 2 – Tuesday 10 March 2020
- Heat 3 – Wednesday 11 March 2020
- Heat 4 – Thursday 12 March 2020
- Finals and prize giving evening – Thursday 19 March 2020
All events will take place at Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
A team of judges from locally STEAM based industries volunteer their time at the Heats and the Finals.
For further help and information in setting up your own STEAM Challenge please contact us via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The project is in line with the values Soroptimist International: www.soroptimistinternational.org
- Human rights for all
- Global peace and international goodwill
- Advancing women’s potential
- Integrity and democratic decision making
- Volunteering, diversity and friendship