Skip links

VAWG – 25th JANUARY – FINANCIAL ABUSE

VAWG – 25th JANUARY – FINANCIAL ABUSE

in

  What is Financial Abuse? Financial abuse happens when an abuser takes control of finances to prevent the other person from leaving and to maintain power in a relationship. Financial abuse often occurs in physically abusive relationships. Financial abuse is frequently part of coercive control. Often a woman does not leave an abusive relationship because she fears she will not be able to provide for herself or her children. Financial abuse can make the victim feel that she cannot leave. Financial abuse can form part of elder abuse or abuse of women with disabilities, when a relative, friend or caregiver steals money from an older person.   So, what are the signs? Often, financial abuse is subtle and gradual, making it harder to recognise. The abuser may act as though taking over the finances is a way to make life easier for you, that you

Spiking
SPIKING : ORANGE THE DAY 25 October 2022

SPIKING : ORANGE THE DAY 25 October 2022

in Tags

  Definitions of drink and needle spiking (Home Affairs Committee Report, published April 2022: Drink spiking is when someone puts drugs or alcohol into a person’s drink without their knowledge or consent. It can include putting alcohol into a non-alcoholic drink, adding extra alcohol to an alcoholic drink or slipping prescription or illegal drugs (such as tranquilisers, amphetamines or GHB – liquid ecstasy) into an alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink.  It can be difficult to tell whether a drink has been spiked, as substances used for spiking usually have no taste, odour or colour. -Needle spiking is where someone surreptitiously  injects, with a hypodermic needle (or other form of administration e.g., combi-pen) a victim with a substance. There has been a prevalence of drink spiking in recent years, but needle spiking appears to be a new phenomenon in the UK from 2021, peaking in October 2021,

Digital abuse
Digital Abuse

Digital Abuse

in Tags

What is Digital Abuse? Digital Abuse is a growing issue among teens. It is defined as a form of violence using technologies in texting and social networking. It is a means of harassment, bullying or intimidating. Digital dating Abuse is all the above, plus stalking a partner often in the form of verbal or emotional abuse conducted online. Digital Abuse is all about power and control, demanding to know passwords, excessive texting, demanding the partner to engage in sex texting, using various forms of technology to control and monitor. Many victims do not realise that what they are experiencing is abuse but think that it is an indication of love. Many times, it gets escalated to more serious forms, like demanding to know where they are, limit interaction with friends and family and stalking online. Breaking free of the abuse will become more of a

Green Week
What is the Great Big Green Week?

What is the Great Big Green Week?

in Tags

The Great Big Green Week is the UK’s biggest call for action on climate change, and will take place from 24 September to 2 October 2022. Make sure you register your event on the Great Big Green Week website so people can see that something is happening in their area! You don’t need all the details confirmed in order to do this. Have you got the date in your diary yet? The #GreatBigGreenWeek 2022 is coming 24th Sept – 2nd Oct People from all walks of life are coming together again for the biggest celebration of climate and nature the UK has ever seen – you won’t want to miss it. Find out more at www.theclimatecoalition.org/great-big-green-week  Join the wave of action sweeping across the nation this September Find an event in your community as part of the #GreatBigGreenWeek to show decision makers that your neighbourhood

IC Change
UK ratifies Istanbul Convention with reservations

UK ratifies Istanbul Convention with reservations

in Tags

The Istanbul convention ratified on July 21 2022 by the UK government was signed with reservations:. These are: Reservations: Article 36 – Sexual violence, including rape Parties shall take the necessary legislative or other measures to ensure that the following intentional conducts are criminalised: engaging in non-consensual vaginal, anal or oral penetration of a sexual nature of the body of another person with any bodily part or object; engaging in other non-consensual acts of a sexual nature with a person; causing another person to engage in non-consensual acts of a sexual nature with a third person. Consent must be given voluntarily as the result of the person’s free will assessed in the context of the surrounding circumstances. Parties shall take the necessary legislative or other measures to ensure that the provisions of paragraph 1 also apply to acts committed against former or current spouses or partners

Stalking
Stalking

Stalking

in Tags

What is stalking? It is a pattern of unwanted, fixated and obsessive behaviour which is intrusive and causes fear of violence, serious alarm or distress. These actions affect not only the person being stalked but also their extended network of family and friends. Stalking and harassment are crimes and must be treated as such. Whilst stalking of well known individuals sometimes makes headlines the majority of cases occur during everyday life to everyday people. In addition to the ‘commonly known’ behaviours stalking also occurs when other actions happen such as:  Making up things to damage your reputation  Making false complaints to agencies  Spreading harmful rumours about you  Leaving or ordering unwanted materials or gifts for you  Being bullied at work or school  In extreme cases the stalker may threaten to kill themselves (emotional blackmail). It is prevalent in society

Plastic action
Tell the UK Government: fix the UK’s plastic waste crisis Greenpeace Petition

Tell the UK Government: fix the UK’s plastic waste crisis Greenpeace Petition

in Tags

Greenpeace Petition The biggest ever investigation into household plastic waste has revealed that only 12% of our household plastic waste is actually being recycled in the UK. The other 88% of our plastic waste is: – burnt in incinerators (46%) – buried underground at landfill (25%) – dumped on other countries (17%) It’s a scandal. It’s time the government got serious about tackling the plastic crisis. The government must act now to reduce single-use plastic, ban all waste exports and the building of new incinerators and finally roll out a deposit return scheme. Did you know that only 12% of our plastic waste is being recycled in the UK? The other 88% of our plastic waste is burnt, buried in landfill or dumped on other countries. It’s a scandal. I’ve just signed this petition urging the government to fix the plastic waste crisis. The more

Elder abuse
Elder Abuse

Elder Abuse

in Tags

Wednesday 15 th June 2022 is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day as designated by the United Nations. This year the theme is ‘Access to Justice’;. It highlights the importance of assessing the needs of older people who may need to seek redress. In the UK, Elder Abuse is defined as “a single or repeated act or lack of appropriate action, occurring within any relationship where there is an expectation or trust, which causes harm or distress to an older person.”  It is estimated that at least 10% of adults aged over 65 will experience some form of abuse in any year. Hourglass, formerly known as Action on Elder Abuse, suggest that one in five people in the UK over the age of 65 have been abused which is 2.7 million victims in the UK. These disturbing figures were the result of polling which indicate that

IC Change
Violence against Women: The Istanbul Convention Update

Violence against Women: The Istanbul Convention Update

in Tags

On the 19th May 2022 the Government announced that after almost a decade they will be ratifying the Istanbul Convention to tackle violence against women and girls. However, we’re deeply disappointed to see that the Government has decided to opt out of a key part of the #IstanbulConvention that provides support and protections for migrant women.    We support the @ICChangeUK Parliamentary Photocall to call for ratification of the #IstanbulConvention without reservations to protect ALL women from violence.  We need your help to ensure as many MPs as possible attend the event on 8 June. The more MPs that attend, the more chance there is of the Government taking action. Please write to your MP now to ask them to support. Click here for more details. #AllWomenMeansAllWomen