One of the most rewarding aspects of being a Soroptimist is the ability to make a difference to the lives of women and girls at local, national and international level. Programme Action , is the main conduit through which, Soroptimist members, channel their efforts to improve the lives of Women and Girls, through Education, Enabling and Empowerment, acting as advocates, raising awareness of issues around their Health and Well-being and encouraging and supporting them globally.
Whilst fundraising is important, so is volunteering, and a willingness to commit in the areas of petitioning and lobbying. The time and effort we invest, reaps its own rewards.
We, at SI Mansfield & District currently supports the following:-
Locally : –
- Alzheimer’s Cafe, Mansfield Woodhouse
- Forget Me Not Cafe, Kirby
- Singing For The Brain, Mansfield
- Framework, Mansfield
- Nottinghamshire Independent Domestic Abuse Service (NIDAS)
- Womens Refuge
- West Notts College
- Cantamus Girls Choir
- Woodland Cafe – Portland Training College
- M.I.N.D. (Mental Health)
- Acoustic Neuroma Association
- Eve Appeal
- Liver Tranplant/Organ donation
- Water Aid
- Tree Aid
- Purple Community Fund
- Campaign for Female Education (Camfed)
- Toilet Twinning
- Federation 3 year project (Empowering Girls in Nepal 2019-2022)
RECYCLING AND COLLECTIONS – What we are collecting and why ?
Toiletry bags and contents for Women’s Refuge
- Face cloth
- Body Puff
- Soft and Gentle Antiperspirant Deodorant (200 ml)
- Nivea Shower Cream (250 ml)
- Oral B toothbrush
- Oral B toothpaste 123 (100 ml)
- Body Collection Folding Brush
- Wash and Go Shampoo and Conditioner (400 ml)
Recycling items for the Environment
- Plastic Bottle Tops via Lush Cosmetic (Freepost) – to help in providing wall cladding to furniture and beehives including play areas in refuge camps
- Stamps – New or Used for Leprosy Appeal
- Ring Pulls – for Purple Community Fund in Philippines (to help children in Manila survive without scavenging on rubbish dumps)
- Milk Carton Tops – via Parrs and proceeds go to John Eastwood Hospice
- Underwear – Bras & Pants – for P.O.W.
- Crisp Packets – via Crisp packet recycling scheme is to support Portland Cafe, Mansfield.
General Fund Raising
- 5 pence pots – Women’s refuge.
- Penny a Pee – Toilet Twinning