Soroptimist International (SI) is a voluntary service organisation taking part in projects involving raising awareness, advocacy and action. This is called Programme Action. Our projects are focussed on women and girls and our focus for the present four years is “Educate to Lead “
The Goals we work from are:
Goal 1) SI will improve the lives and status of women and girls through education, empowerment or enabling opportunities.
Goal 2) SI will be a global voice for increasing access to education and leadership for women and girls.
Our Programme Action involves various activities at a local, national and international level.
At our club level we work on a number of projects trying to focus on women and girls but not exclusively. In 2017/2018 we will work on projects in 3 groups covering the following areas:
- Supporting Bradford’s Together Women’s Project for women at risk of or who have committed an offence. Providing craft activities and social support.
- Support for vulnerable women including trafficked women and those subject to abuse. Providing clothing and items for personal care, for example through the provision of crisis bags.
- Promoting safe and healthy relationships for both adults and children through work in schools, colleges and community projects.
- Enhancing learning opportunities in developing countries for women and girls through the Kenyan Meru Women’s Garden Project.
- Supporting the work of the Yorkshire Air Ambulance.
- Food Security for very needy families through our support for the Bradford Food Bank and the Fuel for Schools Project, including the development of a community kitchen at Trinity All Saints C of E Primary School.
- Ongoing litter collection and clearing each month on the Bingley Riverside walk.
- Befriending the elderly and lonely in the Bingley area.
- Providing reading support at Trinity All Saints C of E Primary School.
- Providing refreshment facilities at the Bradford Court Café.
- Lobbying local councillors and MP’s as and when appropriate.
Each group has a facilitator. The club’s Programme Action Officer co-ordinates the work of the groups. Groups sometimes work on joint projects with all club members contributing to the project.
The work in PA is an essential part of being a Soroptimist and is often fun as well as a commitment. Our club work is reported via the on line reporting system to Soroptimist International and helps to maintain our status at the UN.
To view our current projects click on the Programme Action drop down menu in the left hand column.