Region Presidents Report
Region President Hilary’s Report June 2018
- Since the Region Meeting on 17th February, I have been very grateful for the help and cooperation from each club within the Region that was needed to ensure that Barbara Dixon’s application for Federation Vice President went forward fully compliant with the requirements needed and thus proposed by her own Region
- All those who came to SI Chester’s Charter Lunch event on the canal in Chester on 25th February were treated to a lovely lunch, lovely weather and lovely company. It was a real treat for David and me to join members of SI Chester and their guests and spend a Sunday afternoon in such a way.
- Sadly I attended the funeral of Flo White, a 97 year old long standing member of SI Ellesmere Port and District on 26th February. A great loss to her club
- On 4th March I attended SI Llandudno’s Charter Lunch, shortly followed a week later by their International Women’s Day event, marking the 100 year anniversary of some women getting the vote. We had a lovely walk along the promenade, with many women from a variety of organisations dressed to represent the women’s suffrage movement. At both events it was lovely to chat to the Mayor of Llandudno and his wife. Congratulations to all those who attended similar events across the Region
- On the 7th March I joined SI Rhyl and District for their celebration of St David’s Day. This event saw my first attempt at speaking Welsh. All present were very kind in what they had to say afterwards. I just sincerely hope that I didn’t offend anyone by my efforts
- On 14th March and 11th April I attended the Soroptimists in Flintshire Meetings in Connahs Quay. It is very encouraging to see them slowly taking over the meetings and running them themselves. Please spread the word about this new club and give them lots of encouragement
- The 17th March was a lovely evening spent with members of SI Runcorn, Frodsham and District and Federation President Susan Biggs and her husband at the celebration of the 70th Anniversary of their Charter. As a member of their mother club it was a double privilege for me to be there with them on this occasion
- On the 5th April I joined SI Birkenhead for their Cheque Presentation Evening. It was very inspiring to see so many organisations benefitting from the hard work that Birkenhead members had put in.
- On 14th April I represented Cheshire, North Wales and Wirral Region at the Chester Lions Dinner at Chester Golf Club.
- A very big thank you to all who came along and supported the President’s Lunch at Eastham Lodge Golf Club on Sunday 15th April. We were treated to a lovely lunch, especially those melt in the mouth fruit meringues, followed by a very entertaining and informative talk by Nerys Davies. She spoke about joining the army as a very naive 17 year old and the experiences that followed. An hour listening to her just whistled by. To date about £450 has been raised for Dentaid. If you would like one of the tooth centrepieces to collect loose change in for Dentaid, please let me know
- On Friday 13th April information came out to Clubs from the Federation Office regarding the changes we need to make in order to comply with the new Data Protection legislation. The Region Officers and I are looking at ways to help Clubs by possibly using one form that will give both Club Membership Officers and the Region Database Manager all the information they need, without it being asked for twice. Club Secretaries and Club Regional Representatives will be kept fully briefed as to whether this will be the simplest way forward or not.
- A very warm welcome to all of the new Club Presidents and Club Officers that are taking office during April. They are going that extra mile with a smile and will be counting on your support. If there is anything that the Region Officers can do to support you, please don’t hesitate to ask.
- On Saturday 2nd June is the next Region Meeting, being held at Theatr Clwyd. Federation President Sue Biggs will be holding a question and answer session and Qazi Marzia Babakarkhail will be speaking about her time in Afghanistan, encouraging the education of women and girls while working under the Taliban regime. In addition, 4 more clubs will be sharing their recent work with us. Please encourage all your Club members to come along to what will be an inspirational day
- In summary, it never ceases to surprise me what wonderful work each Club does and the wide variety of organisations we support. Thank you for allowing me to share these achievements with you
Hilary Laidler – Region President